More Macklemore, less Robin Thicke.
And yet a huge percentage of Tumblr hates him. Not trying to be confrontational, but could someone please explain to me why this is?
Because he is a straight white guy and Tumblr isn’t always right.
oh my god if i have to see this post on my dashboard one more time
all right, okay. let’s talk.
last year on a slow day in law/society class, my teacher showed us a movie where charlize theron was one of the only female workers in a mine in minnesota. she experienced a fuckload of sexual harassment, ofc; it was when she started daring to complain about the sexual harassment that shit got really bad.
i remember watching charlize theron go through all these awful things, and i remember getting vaguely invested in her as a heroine; yeah, you go charlize theron, you continue to work despite these harassment and assaults, you stand up for yourself when people shun you in the community, etc
and there was this climactic scene where the miners’ union was having a meeting, and charlize theron was going up to complain about something or tell people she was suing the company or smth, i can’t remember, and she stood there in front of this huge crowd of angry men who were booing her and catcalling her and shouting the worst things at her and she’s getting really miserable
and then her father, who also works at the mine, goes up and says “hey, you’re all jerks, think of your mothers & daughters, would you treat them this way,” and the miners are like “oh wow charlize theron totally does deserve our support etc” and then the movie continues
but all i could think was— what, so they’ll listen to a man but not to the woman who’s actually affected? why doesn’t charlize theron get to save the day and be the hero? in a conversation about sexism, why is his voice more important than hers?
we’re not mad at macklemore. or— well, we are mad at macklemore, but we’re more mad at the system that prioritizes macklemore over actual queer rappers, over actual rappers of color, who have been saying exactly the same shit for decades and been ignored.
we’re mad at the system that gives more attention to straight allies than queer activists.
we’re mad at the system that only supports queer rights when they are quiet and polite and have cute graphics.
we’re mad at the system that makes macklemore a hero of of the queer struggle but doesn’t know marsha p. johnson’s name.
we’re mad at the system that will listen to macklemore when he comes to defend us— but won’t listen to us.
we’re mad at the system that has constructed itself to make damn certain that only straight cis white boys can be heroes.
it’s fuckin’ great that macklemore thought he was gay in third grade. but the system would rather give his third grade gay freakout the spotlight than our actual whole-life queer experiences— and that’s not okay.
Yep, we’re mad at the system, and we’re mad at him for not acknowledging how much he benefits from it in any meaningful way (before anyone says a damn thing: yes, we know he wrote a song about white privilege. We don’t care. It wasn’t good enough).
When people say “the first rapper to ever make such a stance about marriage equality!” when introducing him, he could at least have the common damn decency to say “Thank you, but I’m actually nowhere near the first one. Between queer artists of color rapping about their own experiences, and some bigger straight names than me talking about their support for marriage equality and other queer causes, there’s actually a lot more acceptance in the rap game than people think. But there could always be more.” And then he could rap his shitty Same Love song.
We - or at least I, can’t speak for all his critics here - wouldn’t have nearly as much of a problem with him if THAT’S how he approached it. But he doesn’t. He lets the “straight savior of the queers” narrative stand untouched because IT IS MAKING HIM RICH AND FAMOUS. How completely shitty is that? How could you NOT be pissed at this dude?
So if it’s not perfect it’s not worth it then? because that is what you just said. Seriously, it’s never good enough, it seems half of tumblr won’t accept anything less than “I am scum because I am a white male who likes women, I beg for your forgiveness” even then I doubt tumblr would be okay with him, they would still find reasons to dislike him because of who he is. I mean seriously, look at this fucking sentence: “before anyone says a damn thing: yes, we know he wrote a song about white privilege. We don’t care. It wasn’t good enough” so because he doesn’t acknowledge his privilege constantly, because he only did it in a song, because he isn’t fucking grovelling at your feet, begging for forgiveness for having the horrible misfortune to be born a straight white male, because he dared accept money for his OWN FUCKING ART WORK he is trash in your book? His activism means less than nothing? you’re angry at HIM because he succeeded where others have failed? That is some grade ‘A’ bullshit.
First of all I don’t think most people think Macklemore is the first person EVER to rap about equality issues, if you truly think that you’re an idiot, but he IS the first person to make it mainstream and cool. and to be honest, it shouldn’t matter WHO he is. What’s important is that its actually being done. It seems incredibly assholey to basically be saying “oh well we want marriage equality to become something that is cool and talked about but we don’t want *him* to be the one to make that happen”.
So yeah I’m NOT mad at Macklemore, because he is doing more for the cause of marriage equality than any celebrity personality in the fucking country right now. let that soak in, and then tell me again how Macklemore is a bad person? because he doesn’t give others credit for his work? because he has the audacity not to be gay? Go ahead and be mad at the system if you want, but don’t try to put down those who are attempting to game the system to your advantage. Because that is exactly what Macklemore is doing, and everyone hates him for it.
- rozarinight reblogged this from japhers
- rozarinight likes this
- littlerunawayrose likes this
- hannahmichellep likes this
- omglarryandthepinkrose reblogged this from throwsome-glitter-makeit-rain
- allroadsleadtohellx likes this
- throwsome-glitter-makeit-rain reblogged this from winny-osaurus-rex
- 1-truehope reblogged this from theatrophyofhumanity
- hername-isamber reblogged this from theatrophyofhumanity
- hername-isamber likes this
- seacucumbercat likes this
- scionthelion likes this
- ladymacbethe likes this
- alextasteslikelaffytaffy likes this
- ephe-biphobia likes this
- de-bonnes-vibes likes this
- myspitefulchvnt reblogged this from pe0plefuckingsuck
- pe0plefuckingsuck reblogged this from internetcallgirl
- mooseswho reblogged this from thisretrodreamisneverending
- brianna-nicole95 reblogged this from saberspinner
- p1zza-party reblogged this from y-ounggg
- p1zza-party likes this
- kissinng reblogged this from thelivingcatastrophe
- newyork-vogue likes this
- anunlovelylife reblogged this from boredcollegekids
- get-awf-me reblogged this from esmeedelrey
- esmeedelrey reblogged this from thelivingcatastrophe
- life-is-an-oddessy reblogged this from thelivingcatastrophe
- life-is-an-oddessy likes this
- lexiscatherine reblogged this from sqongeboob
- aajayyy14 reblogged this from thelivingcatastrophe
- tiktoklollipop likes this
- thelivingcatastrophe reblogged this from stuck-in--wonderland
- stuck-in--wonderland reblogged this from autumndespair
- y-ounggg reblogged this from annmarieex3
- themahomieangel reblogged this from cherbearmahone
- themahomieangel likes this
- herpetta likes this
- herpetta reblogged this from a-lovers-hope
- musicisallaroundyouandme likes this
- pottergirl6 reblogged this from jennaseavictoria
- its-lynnze-not-lindsey reblogged this from imsorrylovebutidontreallycare
- melliesmadworld reblogged this from charliie105
- cacopygian likes this
- cacopygian reblogged this from ijustfartedoops
- annmarieex3 reblogged this from autumndespair
- annmarieex3 likes this
- iwant-this-forever likes this
- imsorrylovebutidontreallycare reblogged this from lost--in--tranzlation